gvSIG, the EIEL of Jaén and IDEJaén
Diputación Provincial de Jaén
A GIS client was required that besides the basic GIS functionalities of editing, querying, geo-processing, etc., was also capable of accessing spatial data stored in a PostGIS database housed in a corporate database and WMS services internal and external to the company in compliance with the OGC standards.
- gvSIG v 1.1.2 and v1.9 were installed in all the main office work stations and in 61 county offices within the Jaén province.
- A WMS service within the Jaén provincial government was built with open source software in order to provide access to data from the EIEL, Encuesta de Infraestructura y Equipamientos Locales (Local Infrastructure and Equipment Database). This service was originally thought to provide services to the counties offices but finally was extended freely to all the citizens without the need to register or use passwords. This service is operative since November 2009.
- Implementation of the Idejaen Geoportal, using exclusively open source software. The geoportal is operative since May 2010.
- Cost of software = 0 €
- Cost assumable of system design and implementation.
- Short learning and adaptation curve of the users.